Nationwide Blogs

New York Contract Licensing ‐ The Basic Requirements and Rules

If you want to work as a general contractor in the construction industry in New York, you're chosen a wonderful path. However, regulations and requirements vary from one state to the next, which can make the process a bit confusing. We've pulled together all the information you need to get your general contractor license in New York.

Is a General Contractor License Mandatory?

State licenses in New York are only required for crane operators and asbestos workers. Other licenses are going to be acquired by the city. A license or permit from the city is typically required for all general contractors.

Who Provides Contractor Licenses?

This varies based on what county and city you are located in. Make sure you check the local rules before you start working in any area. Below is information for a few of the larger areas in New York:
* Buffalo ‐ Contractor licenses are regulated by the Buffalo Department of Economic Development through the Permit and Inspection Services Offices of Licenses.
* Long Island ‐ General contractors must access licenses from the Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs.
* New York City ‐ Contractor licenses will be provided by the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.
* Westchester ‐ General contractors will be issued licenses by the Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection.

Types of New York Contractor Licenses

Two different general contractor licenses are available in New York. These include the following:
* Certified General Contractor License ‐ This can be used across the state for jobs in any location.
* Registered General Contractor License ‐ This license is only for certain jurisdictions and areas.

Requirements to Acquire a General Contractor License

While there are various requirements for a New York license, the following items are typically required to qualify:
* Be 18 years of age or older.
* Pay a fee and pass a background check.
* Submit a typed, notarized, and signed registration form.
* Provide a notarized document with your name, address, social security number, and share percentage of the company for all offices and stockholders.
* Submit an EIN (employer identification number) from the IRS.
* Provide your last three bank account statements for the business with a minimum balance of $25,000 or a letter from a bank showing this balance over the last year.
* Obtain general liability insurance for $1,000,000 in coverage.
* Provide disability and workers' compensation insurance certificates.
* Show a New York photo ID, passport, or birth certificate.
* Give proof of your home address, such as a lease, deed, bank statement, or utility bill.
* Submit proof of business address such as a lease, deed, bank statement, or utility bill.

This is the process required in New York City, so it may be different for other cities and counties in the state.

Nationwide Notice, Inc. Can Assist with Construction Payment Needs

When it comes to getting paid in construction, no one assists quite like Nationwide Notice, Inc. We are a full-service and full-service lien and notice company - we prioritize assisting clients to ensure they secure their payments. We are just a call or click away - check out our website to learn more. Or check out this page to see what sets us apart from the competition. At Nationwide Notice, Inc., we help construction companies of all sizes - whether they need assistance with lien laws and related documents based on their state, or to protect their receivables.